My biggest fears

Often times I'll be sitting in the rocking chair trying to lull the baby to sleep. I can only remember the lyrics to a few lullabies so I start singing Queen, Led Zeplin, Steve Miller or whatever song I know the words to. I don't know that Bohemian Rhapsody has ever been included on a lullaby CD but it does seem to work. I don't do the head banging a la Wayne's World though.

As I sit there, did I mention that it usually is in the wee hours of the morning? looking at this beautiful child, I try to comprehend that this little guy is going to grow up to be a boy and then a man. And I try to think about what he'll be when he grows up.

Now, I know I can only do so much-- give him a strong foundation, try to teach him right from wrong, to respect others yada yada yada.. I know that ultimately I don't have a lot of control over what he'll become and what his aspirations will be.

HOWEVER, I have come up with a list of certain scenarios where I will not hesitate to disown him:
1. He becomes a conservative republican. Especially if he is anti-gay or anti-abortion.
2. He becomes a born again Christian. I think his mother and I did quite well giving birth to him the first time. If he feels he needs to be born again, well he can find new parents.
3. He becomes a corporate lawyer. Unless he donates lots of money/time to worthy charities.
4. He becomes the dictator of a country and oppresses the masses.

Besides that, I'll always love him unconditionally.

No comments: