Don't get me wrong

I like NPR, listen to it every day. And today being MLK day here I've enjoyed listening to the recordings of Dr. King's speeches. The man was a great orator. At times as I'm listening I think "man, he's kind of rambling" but then all of a sudden he ties it all together and it hits you. It all makes sense.

His last speech ("I've been to the mountain top"), the one he made just days before he was killed, was really eerie. Maybe it's just coincidence, but his last paragraph almost sounds like a challenge to those who are plotting to kill him. If I knew there was a plot to kill me, I don't think I could stand in front of all those people and deliver such powerful words.

So I'm listening to this speech and when it's over NPR decides to play "In the name of love" by U2 as a musical interlude. huh? I like the song. But in that whole song there's one mention of MLK. Of all the songs they choose to play, that one? Kind of put a damper on the whole thing.

-tmo

No comments: