to the brick and mortar

I was just leaving Home Depot when my cousin K called me. He's in town for Thanksgiving and was heading down to a little card room to play in a $30 tourney with a buddy of his. After getting the green light from the Boss I headed South to Rascal's. The name should really be "Bandits" for taking a 20% cut (25+5), but no one seemed to mind, they were there to Gambool. In the first round I saw two baby flush draws call all in bets after the flop and knock out TPTK and two pair when they caught their flushes. Neither of them were drawing to the nuts mind you, nor did they have over cards.
Blinds double every 12 minutes so it was little more than a crapshoot. The only thing that didn't make a pure crapshoot was the fact that they gave you T4000. I don't think I exagerate when I say I didn't have a pocket pair for the whole tourney. After the fourth round I had won two small pots and K was still looking for his first win. After slowly bleeding away, I got moved to a table under the gun. With T3400 and the blinds at 800/1600 (meaning I would be left with T1000 after the blinds passed me), I shoved all in with KJo. Guy to my left calls, as does the BB. K on the flop and I'm ahead. Unfortunately I'm all in so I can't push out the BB who has AQo and catches an A on the river to send me home.
K, on the other hand, went on a little rush and caught some nice cards to make it to the final table and then go on to win the whole kit and kaboodle. Pretty exciting. K is mostly a limit cash game player but I think he's getting bitten by the no-limit bug. It would exciting to see him at a final table some time.

-tmo

No comments: