driveway moments

I admit it, I listen to NPR. It's the source for most of my news since we don't have a TV and I get up too late to read the paper in the morning.

Every time they have a pledge drive they talk about "driveway moments," those stories so captivating that you sit in your car in the driveway unwilling or unable to turn off the radio until you hear the end of a story.

Yesterday I heard perhaps the most riveting story I've heard this year, and perhaps ever.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5014080

You just have to listen to it to understand. The really quick version is that this man goes in search of the truth, something that has plagues him for almost all his life, the feeling that something had happened to him. This isn't some alien abduction story, it is far worse. In fact, I think it would be less disturbing if aliens had perpetrated something on him, but instead it was another human. The truth is that when he was 12 years old, he had a "transorbital lobotomy" performed on him. I mean, I can't even begin to imagine what I would do if I learned something like that. It was amazing.

On a much, much ligher note. My friend Daniel was on the boob tube. There he was, "Mike Hanson," on CSI: NY. Daniel has been in LA, and before that NY, pursuing his dream to be an actor. It's great to see him doing what he wants to do. I'm hoping he hits it really big so i can be interviewed by E! or ET or anyone else and I can tell embarrassing stories about him.

-tmo

No comments: